The Railway Hotel, as with most Railway Hotels and inns was built at the same time as the arrival of the Ipswich to aldeburgh sub line. Sir Samual Morton Peto was the major entrepreneur and developer of the railways and stations.
Having decided on the location of the Aldeburgh Railway Station he acquired the Tollgate Fields from the local Lord of the Manor, Thomas Wentworth. Peto was in partnership in the station project with Newson Garratt and having acquired the land from the East Suffolk railway Company they parcelled it up selling sections to individuals. One, an innkeeper named Samual Majoram signed the purchace document with an 'x' was witness by George Nunn a local shoemaker.
The consideration value was £50 and deed suggested that he only purcheced the land after "the message or tenement lately erected thereon in 1868".
!875 Samual Majoram retired and sold the 'Railway Tavern', a public house to Samual Orford of Friston.
1883 Adnams & Sargeant purchased the freehold for the sum of £1,050., they promptly mortgaged it to Charlotte Garrett.
Sargeant retired in 1890 and Adnams became a public company Adnams Plc.